1. What is AzTEDP?

The Arizona Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program (AzTEDP) is a program of the Arizona Commission for the Deaf and the Hard of Hearing (ACDHH), a state agency, that distributes telecommunications equipment at no charge to residents of the State of Arizona who need assistance communicating on the phone.

2. Who can receive free equipment?

Eligibility is determined by the professional’s evaluation (doctor, audiologist, hearing aid dispenser, etc.) who will legibly complete and sign the bottom section of the application, indicate their professional credentials and mark the appropriate CERTIFYING CONDITION (Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing or Speech-Impaired). This information will certify your need for a phone that will help improve your communication challenges. Proof of United States legal residency (such as a photocopy of your passport, birth certificate, name change form, marriage certificate), as well as proof of residency in the State of Arizona is also required. Please see AzTEDP main page to print the required forms.

Deaf, Hard of Hearing, DeafBlind including persons with Combined Vision and Hearing Loss (CVHL), and Speech-Impaired residents of Arizona qualify for free telecommunication equipment through AzTEDP.

3. Who can sign my application form?

Any of the professionals listed below can sign your application form:

  • Audiologist
  • Hearing aid dispenser
  • Medical doctor
  • Nurse practitioner
  • Speech-language pathologist (sometimes called a speech therapist)
  • Vocational rehabilitation counselor (must have CRC)
  • Doctor/Physician Assistant
  • Dispensing Audiologist

4. Is it really free?

Yes, equipment through AzTEDP is FREE to all Deaf, Hard of Hearing, DeafBlind, and Speech-Impaired Arizonans regardless of income.
The equipment is on loan to you. However, the equipment becomes your personal property at the end of the fifth year. The equipment is yours to use as long as you need it. If you move out of ARIZONA, or stop using the equipment prior to the end of the 5th year, please return it to AzTEDP. CapTel units will always remain AZ State Property.

5. What kinds of equipment can I get?

People who qualify for telecommunication equipment through AzTEDP can get one primary device and one secondary device.
A primary device is a main piece of equipment which facilitates access to the actual communication on the telephone, such as a TTY (Teletypewriter), captioned telephone, amplified phone, or electrolarynx.
A secondary device is equipment that alerts the client to an incoming call. Examples are an audible ringing signaling device or a light signaling device.

6. How long will it take before I get my equipment?

Once a completed application and the appropriate supporting documents are received, a voucher with instructions for redemption will be mailed to your home. If you choose a CapTel unit, it will be shipped via Fed Ex within a few days of the arrival of a COMPLETE application.

7. How often can I get new equipment from AzTEDP?

Voucher purchased equipment is loaned to you for five years from the date you received the equipment from your chosen vendor.

8. What if it breaks down during the 5 years?

All voucher equipment has a five-year warranty with the vendor you choose. Captioned telephones and other specialty devices can be exchanged at any time through AzTEDP depending on availability. If you received a used device from our inventory, we will exchange it if needed.

9. Where can I get training on how to use my devices from AzTEDP?

The AzTEDP office is located at 100 N. 15th Ave, Suite. 104, Phoenix, AZ 85007 and is open Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm, excluding holidays. We offer free demonstration and training on an appointment basis. Home visits are available on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Vicki Thompson to set up a time to meet. You may also call 602-542-1124 (V/TTY) or 1-866-223-3412 (V/TTY).

10. What are my responsibilities?

You are responsible for making sure your equipment is properly used and maintained. Please read the manual that comes with your equipment. You are also responsible to return equipment to AzTEDP if you move out of Arizona or if the equipment is no longer being used. For amplified products, make sure the amplifier is turned on. For CapTel, only use the captions when needed as the state pays for each minute the captions are used.

11. What happens if my device is broken, lost, or stolen?

  • Malfunction: If the equipment broke down through normal use, repairs will be made at no cost you. Voucher equipment has a FIVE year warranty, so keeping a record of which business you choose as a vendor and your voucher number can be very helpful.
  • Loss: If you lose your equipment, you are obligated to reimburse AzTEDP for its current value.
  • Theft: If your equipment is stolen, give AzTEDP a copy of the police report. AzTEDP will gladly issue another device.

12. Where do I return my equipment when I no longer need it?

If you do not need your equipment for whatever reason during the five year loan period, promptly return it to the AzTEDP office. Please do not leave it at any other location. If you have any questions, contact us:

(602) 542-1124 (Phoenix Area) V/TTY
(866) 223-3412 V/TTY
[email protected]

13. How does a certified professional refer patients to AzTEDP to help them obtain equipment that  best meets their needs?

  • Click HERE to print the appropriate application packet. This includes instructions, forms and the equipment catalog. You, as the professional, can legibly fill out and sign the Part C at the bottom of the application, and provide the applicant with the rest of the packet.
  • You may also wish to keep a supply of application packets at your office. We will gladly send you an ample supply. You may also direct potential applicants to the main AzTEDP phone number: 602-542-1124 or 1-866-223-3412 or Email: [email protected]