Statewide SSP Program
The Arizona Commission for the Deaf and the Hard of Hearing’s (ACDHH) Statewide Support Service Provider (SSP) Program provides self-determined DeafBlind and Combined Vision and Hearing Loss (CVHL) consumers with supports to empower, promote independence, improve the quality of life, and access to community.
During this 18 month process ACDHH seeks to serve approximately 35 consumers providing 20 hours a month in SSP services. Both vision and hearing guidelines creating barriers to accessing any environment will be used to determine program participation.
Program Participation Guidelines for SSP Services:
- Have the capacity of giving instructions regarding service activities to the SSP.
- Arizona Resident.
- Provide documentation of United States Citizenship.
- Over the age of 18.
- Agree to follow ACDHH SSP Program Guidelines and Code of Conduct.
- Complete ACDHH orientation on the use of SSP services.
- Agree to pay any incidental expenses and/or activity expenses (i.e. parking meters, bus fare, entrance fees and event tickets).
- Grant permission for the SSP to access care for the DeafBlind/CVHL consumer in the event of an emergency. However, the SSP is not allowed to interpret in these emergency situations.
- Vision Considerations:
Have a central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with corrective lenses, or
Has a field defect where the peripheral diameter of the visual field subtends an angular distance no greater than 20 degrees, or
Has a progressive visual loss with a prognosis of one of both of the conditions stated in subsection (a) and (b). d. May provide medical documentation from approved practicing professionals. e. Evidence of barriers to accessing information due to vision limitations.
- Hearing Considerations:
Audiogram showing at least 50 decibels or worse in the best ear.
May provide medical documentation or from approved practicing professionals.
Evidence of barriers to accessing information due to hearing level limitations.